Have you ever wanted to get into essential oils but aren’t quite sure where to start or where to find information? That’s how I felt about a year ago before diving into the magical world of oils! There are so many resources out there and dozens of essential oil companies that this whole thing can be pretty confusing! I’m writing this with hope that I may be able to help you ease into your essential oil practice. My goal is to simplify this information so that you feel like you’re able to digest everything fully, but so that you also feel very confident in your knowledge of different oils.
Today, I’m sharing one of the most refreshing essential oils – peppermint! Peppermint is an oil that I think everyone needs to have in their oil kit because it’s so versatile, yet so perfect for everyone!
There are so many things you can do with peppermint essential oil! Here are some of the most well-known benefits:
- Pain killer
- Antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial
- Boosts moods and aids individuals with depression
- Reduces infection and the risk of infection
- Aids with nausea, indigestion, asthma, intestinal parasites and other digestive functions
- Helps with asthma
- Treats sinus infections, headaches, coughs and fevers
- Increases mental alertness and reduces fatigue
- Fights off bugs and pests
- Helps with vertigo
- Good for skin conditions such as sunburn, ringworm, and scabies
As you can see, peppermint has SO many great benefits! Here are a few ways you can use it:
- Use in the bath or shower for aromatherapy benefits
- Diffuse in the air for a refreshing scent
- Massage (diluted) onto the skin
- Use for headaches and severe muscle pain
- Use with a compress for muscle pain, soreness and stiffness
- Add to food and beverages (with caution) for a refreshing flavor
- Use near your garden and in your home to keep pests away
- Create your own freshly scented oral care routine
In my opinion, one of the hardest parts about using essential oils is knowing what oils blend well together. Some scents work great together, while others clash, just like some benefits work well together, and others are counter-productive. Here are some oils that blend well with peppermint:
- Black pepper
- Lemon eucalyptus
- Tea tree
Although essential oils can be so healing and grounding, there are definitely things to take into consideration before using each oil. Here are a list of precautions to think about before using peppermint essential oil:
- Peppermint essential oil is not safe for children under the age of 6 years old.
- Pregnant women should avoid using peppermint essential oil because it can stimulate menstrual flow.
- Conduct a patch test before using peppermint essential oil. It can irritate the skin of sensitive individuals.
- Peppermint essential oil may irritate mucus membranes.
- Do not use peppermint essential oil if you have epilepsy.
- Use caution when ingesting peppermint essential oil. It can make GERD, acid reflux and heartburn worse for some individuals.
If you’re looking for some recipe inspo, here are a few recipes I’ve created (both for my own blog and for the Simply Earth blog) that include peppermint. I’ll continue to update this list as I create more recipes that feature this amazing oil!
- Natural Hydrating Shampoo
- Paleo Thin Mint Bliss Balls
- Fresh Summer Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
- How to Make Your Own Minty Tangerine Lip Balm
- Soothing After Sun Spray
- Say Goodbye to Mosquitos with this Diffuser Blend
- Breathe Easier with this DIY All-Natural Chest Rub
- Reduce Muscle Pain with this All Natural Rub
- Top Nine Essential Oils for Cold and Flu Season
I hope I’ve helped you understand a bit more about peppermint essential oil! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me (my email is email@example.com).
What other oils would you like to learn more about?
** I am not yet a certified aromatherapist. All content has been retrieved from reputable and reliable sources that have been listed below. This post also contains affiliate links that I may receive monetary compensation from.**
Essential Oils Natural Remedies. New York: Fall River Press, 2015. Print. The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing
“Peppermint Essential Oil.” Simply Earth. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2017.