When I think of the colder months, I can’t help but think about the cozy blankets, comfy clothes and soul-warming food. Being bundled up under a comforter, wearing your favorite fuzzy socks while holding a mug of creamy hot chocolate sounds like the ultimate dream.
I’ve got you covered on the hot chocolate with a recipe sure to make your soul and body happy.
This recipe is full of yummy, healthy goodness – pecan milk, raw honey, coconut oil, cacao powder, cinnamon, turmeric, ashwagandha, and mucuna pruriens. I know some of these ingredients sound crazy but I promise this is great!
Aside from being delicious, here are seven reasons why you’ll want to make this for yourself ASAP.
1. Raw Honey – Raw honey is loaded with antioxidants, is known to reduce inflammation and bacteria, and is said to support healthy tissue production.
2. Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid, which is easier to digest and utilize than long-chain fatty acids (which are found in meats, avocados, nuts, etc.). Coconut oil can help reduce inflammation, boost immune system and brain function, and helps with digestion and hormone balance.
3. Cacao Powder – Cacao powder is an antioxidant powerhouse, has a high amount of iron for being a plant based source, supports a healthy heart and brain, and helps boost mood.
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon has tons of antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, may reduce risk of heart disease, has anti-diabetic effects, and has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
5. Turmeric – Turmeric is known to increase antioxidant capacity in our bodies, reduce depressive moods and reduce inflammation. It’s also suspected to help prevent cancer and Alzheimer’s.
6. Ashwagandha – Ashwagandha is considered a vital herb that can help support brain function and emotional health. It’s also claimed to tonify the immune system, increase levels of super oxide dismutase (an enzyme) in the body, and reduce mental, emotional and physical effects of stress!
7. Mucuna Pruriens – Mucuna Pruriens is a plant extract powder that contains L-DOPA, which is a precursor to dopamine (a chemical that controls the pleasure centers in our brain). Mucuna Pruriens may help to enhance brain function, improve mode, refine senses and support overall well-being.
Finally, here’s how to make this awesome hot chocolate!
- 4 c. milk of your choice – I used maple pecan milk
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ashwagandha*
- 1/2 tsp. mucuna pruriens*
*If you don’t have this, you can skip it!
Heat up milk, coconut oil and honey in a medium saucepan until boiling. Turn heat to low and stir in cacao powder, cinnamon, turmeric, ashwagandha, and mucuna pruriens. Continue to stir until well combined and thick.
That’s it! I hope you enjoy!
*This post is NOT sponsored, however the Thrive Market link is my invitation link. All thoughts are my own.*